Popcorn Ceiling Removal in HOUSTON
Update Your Home with the Help of OmegaPro Painters
Although popcorn ceilings used to be very popular, being installed in many homes from the 1950s through the 1980s, homeowners now view them as being outdated and difficult to maintain. While popcorn ceilings were once admired for their ability to hide imperfections and add aesthetic qualities, they can now decrease the resale value of your home.
Fortunately, popcorn ceilings can be removed with the help of our expert team at OmegaPro Painters. When you entrust the job to our popcorn ceiling removal specialists in Houston, it won’t take weeks to complete. We are often able to finish projects on the same day, while larger projects may require more time. Our goal is to get you back to enjoying your home in as little time as possible. If you are looking to paint your ceiling following the removal of the current materials, we are also equipped to perform all your indoor painting needs.
Call OmegaPro Painters at (832) 536-9353 for a free estimate on popcorn ceiling removal in Houston.
When Did they Stop Using Asbestos in Popcorn Ceilings?
The United States Government banned the use of asbestos in ceiling finishes in 1977, so most ceilings installed after this date will not contain this hazardous substance. If your home was built before 1978 it is important to have a professional test for asbestos before attempting removal. Asbestos doesn't post a health risk if it's left intact, but popcorn ceilings are fragile and crumble easily, which could pose a health risk at the slightest disturbance.
Reasons to Remove a Popcorn Ceiling
Spraying on a popcorn effect was once hailed as a simple method of finishing a ceiling. However, over the years, numerous concerns have come up regarding popcorn ceilings.
Reasons you may want to remove your popcorn ceiling:
- To remove the threat of asbestos – If your ceiling was installed before 1978, it likely contains the hazardous substance asbestos. It is especially necessary to remove the ceiling if it has been damaged or the interior of the ceiling has been exposed.
- To prevent dust collection – Popcorn ceilings are a magnet for dust. Dusting this type of ceiling is both time-consuming and frustrating. Avoid such a hassle by removing your popcorn ceiling.
- To halt disintegrating – Popcorn ceilings are a challenge to maintain. As it begins to deteriorate, you will notice white flecks falling onto your floors and furniture. Prolonged exposure to these paint particles can eventually damage surfaces.
- To deal with discoloration – Over time, a popcorn ceiling will become discolored. A dingy-looking ceiling can detract from the appeal of the room. Another option is to paint over the popcorn ceiling to cover up the discoloration. However, this will make removing the popcorn surface even more difficult in the future.
- To improve lighting – Popcorn ceilings can actually affect the lighting of a room. As the light bounces off the rough surface, it can cause some harsh shadows. Removing the ceiling material may be the only way to create the relaxed atmosphere you desire.
How Is a Popcorn Ceiling Removed?
If you are contemplating DIY for popcorn ceiling removal, you may want to reconsider. Undertaking such a task on your own will not only consume a lot of time but can also lead to a large mess and even damage your ceiling. When you trust our professionals to handle the project for you, we’ll take the necessary steps to protect your home and keep it clean.
Our process for removing a popcorn ceiling involves:
- We will assess where the ceiling is located, when it was built, and your desired final ceiling treatment
- We lay down drop cloths or plastic to protect your floors and furnishings
- We use proven techniques to scrape the popcorn ceiling material off
- We make any necessary repairs to the drywall, leaving a smooth surface
We Offer Free Estimates
Over 15 Years of Experience
Customer Satisfaction Guarantee